The former Smith’s Medical factory in Hythe, Kent was sold for development to REWD in August 2018 and traditional demolition commenced in October 2018.
The site was situated in a predominantly residential area and all routes had to remain operational at all times.
Due to the close proximity of the residential neighbours, significant dust suppression was required throughout the duration of the demolition.
Amongst all of the large-scale / high profile / complex / technically-challenging projects that DDS undertake, we still continue to deliver the more modest, traditional demolition contracts.
- Confirm isolation and termination of services to the structures.
- Erect Hoarding to secure the site and create a demolition exclusion zone.
- Employ DDS Environmental for asbestos removal.
- Building cleared of internal fixtures & fittings before demolition commenced.
- Install pedestrian and vehicle gates as part of the overall Traffic Management Plan.
- Demolish all buildings to top of slab level.
- Remove all demolition arisings, rubbish and soft strip materials arising.
- The site was in a very busy and vulnerable location. The surrounding roads and pathways were heavily used throughout the duration of the works. Effective dust and vibration suppression was paramount.
- Traditional demolition was executed using our own machinery in a safe and controlled manner.
- The client was suitably impressed with DDS after which we secured further projects.
- The management and co-operation working in conjunction with other contractors such as DDS Environmental was exemplary.
- Over 98% of the waste arising from the demolition process was recycled.