DDS Demolition were awarded the contract for the demolition of the former Onyx nightclub and two redundant bridges over the disused, listed railway line at Folkestone Harbour in Kent.
Our client, Martello Building Consultancy, is passionate about Folkestones redevelopment and DDS Demolition were honoured to play a part in the long term plans for the seafront.
- Nightclub demolished, and materials processed, using a 360° excavator fitted with a combination of multi-purpose processor, selector grab and bucket attachments.
- The basement slab punctured and the void backfilled / compacted with crushed arisings to approx. 250mm below surrounding ground levels. A 150mm layer of 6F2 then a 100mm base course (AC20) and a tarmacadam finish applied.
- Bridge No.1 dismantled and the precast sections lifted out using a mobile crane. Scaffold towers constructed to support the bridge span and provide access for demolition.
- Bridge No.2 demolished using a 360° excavator fitted with a multi-purpose processor accessed from a scaffold crash deck constructed above platform level.
- The nightclub suffered a suspected arson attack from which DDS reacted promptly and out of hours to reduce risk to the public.
- DDS accordingly amended our Method Statement to account for the revised scope.
- Despite the incident, programme was unaffected.
- Bridge 1 was meticulously planned and designed allowing a faultless lift for the main span.
- Dual purpose crash deck was assembled and struck efficiently without damage to the listed railway line for Bridge 2.
- All structures demolished safely and ahead of time.
- The end client and our client, Martello Building Consultancy, were completely satisfied with the project delivery.