Blog Post: Client Guide Demolition Checklist, Edition 1

DDS Demolition began our journey 40 years ago with domestic demolition such as hotels, houses, garages and pubs. Despite our growth, we still competitively and competently undertake these projects.

Word of mouth travels far and we appreciate every recommendation that is passed our way. We value the notion that a prospective client can contact DDS even in the very early stages of a project to receive sound and correct advice.

Although not limited to the size of the project, we find that domestic demolition (or small works demolition) often harbours more “fact finding” questions. With this in mind, we have compiled the 1st Edition of our Client Guide Demolition Checklist to hopefully inform any prospective developer on the necessary requirements when commencing their demolition project……

  • I have a structure to demolish, where do I start?

You need to understand the requirements of CDM 2015. As Principle Contractor, DDS Demolition will make the client aware of their duties under CDM and where more than one contractor may be involved in our works, we are often engaged and appointed as Principle Designer as well as Principle Contractor.

  • What is CDM?

Construction Design Management is a set of regulations to help manage and monitor Health & Safety throughout the pre-construction and construction phase of a project.

We often encounter clients with a vague understanding of the requirements, therefore DDS Demolition has a team of experts who are certified by The Association for Project Safety (APS) which enables us to act as a number of duty holders throughout the project including Principle Designer and/or Principle Contractor.

  • What else am I (the client) responsible for?

If the property was built before 2000, prior to any demolition taking place, you will need to employ a company to carry out an R & D (Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition) Survey. If the structure was built post 2000, evidence needs to be presented in the form of an O & M Manual for example to prove that there is no asbestos within the structure or maintenance of the structure.

  • What is an R & D Survey?

An R & D (Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition) survey is a report carried out on the property to identify all asbestos present within the building / structure. This is to ensure that no-one will be affected by activity on asbestos containing materials and future contractors are aware of its presence. The R & D Survey will source and illustrate all asbestos prior to any structural work commencing and forms part of your asbestos management process.

  • Do I need planning permission?

No, the actual demolition does not usually require planning permission. However, you – or your chosen demolition contractor on your behalf – need to seek approval from the local authority beforehand. This is called a Section 80.

  • What is a Section 80?

A Section 80 is a notice of intended demolition submitted to the local authority. You cannot proceed with any demolition until a Section 81 is returned.

  • What is a Section 81?

The Building Control department within the local authority will return a Section 81 to confirm that demolition can commence.

  • How long should I allow from submitting the Section 80?

You should allow a maximum of 6 weeks to receive the Section 81.

  • Who submits the Section 80?

You or your carefully chosen demolition contractor can submit the Section 80.

  • Is there a charge?

Some local authorities do charge a small nominal fee.

As DDS Demolition continues to be a beacon of honest and professional opinion, keep following our Blogpost for the 2nd Edition of the Client Guide Demolition Checklist next week……