Following nicely from our previous 2-part Client Guide Checklists, it seemed appropriate to focus our next “Day In The Life Blog” on the linchpin of all these necessary organisational tasks, our Demolition Office Manager, Karen Acott.
Karen has been with DDS Demolition for 3 years, having previously worked in many other Construction environments. Beginning her DDS career as an Administrator, Karens sharp mind and calm yet decisive personality swiftly saw her promoted to Demolition Office Manager.
Managing a team of 2 further administration staff and general running of the office, here’s a typical day this week…….
8.30am – Arrive at Head Office
- Morning catch up with the team
- Submit a Section 80 for a client.
- Check on the status of an existing Section 80 with another local authority
- Prepare and send notice of demolition letters to residents concerning a new project
- Conduct an annual one to one with a member of the team
- Assisting with a PQQ
- In line with the ISO requirements, gathering the relevant accreditations from our suppliers.
- Attend and take minutes of the weekly Contracts Meeting
- Supervise the general DDS Demolition info email traffic
- Review and pre-qualify CV’s for recent positions advertised
- Compile a Fact Sheet of Services and Disconnections for a new client
- Undertake and manage the services and disconnections on behalf of a new client
- Preparation of waste files at the conclusion of a project
- Maintain an endlessly pleasant and professional manner despite a near constantly ringing telephone!
4.30pm – Home time!
We work as a team at DDS Demolition and Karen especially is central to this work ethic. Whether she and the admin team are taking calls from site requesting paperwork, preparing quotations on behalf of the Estimating team or aiding the Contracts Managers with the site files to accompany a project – an unflappable and competent Demolition Office Manager is invaluable.
Thankfully, DDS is not a company flooded with “too many Chiefs” – we simply have the right people in the right positions throughout the business.
As Richard Branson once said, “With the right people, anything is possible”.